Friday, March 13, 2009

Why You Should Look for Organic Mascara

The last drop that made me shift to organic mascara was when I learned that there are still some companies that have the audacity to use a preservative in regular mascara that is derived from mercury. While I’ve been crazy trying to avoid fish, checking the baby thermometers are feeling smug watching documentaries about misguided ancient emperors, I was shocked to learn that thimerosal, a mercury derived preservative is used to keep some mascaras fresh and bacteria-free.

Now, let’s get it straight. Mercury in mascara is rare. In fact, I don’t even know what brands have it.

But it is still just a bit shocking that here we are in the 21st century knowing what we know about the damage this heavy metal can cause to the brain function and there is a preservative on the market that is derived from it.

Beauty industry is furious over the whole controversy. “We haven’t been using mercury in ages!” and “only two cake mascara brands have been implicated” is all you hear from them…

But had the beauty industry being more transparent and proactive in removing dangerous chemicals, this issue would never have implicated anybody. Instead, it’s the fact that this is the tip of the iceberg that bothers people. So you don’t have mercury? Fine… What do you have? What are the ingredients in your mascara? Do you have any proof that these ingredients are not linked to cancer or other health concerns?

If there is one thing that came out of this controversy, it is that people started paying closer attention to the ingredients on their makeup. And the what they read is not too pretty.

Here is a list of mascara ingredients from a very popular brand taken from the cosmeticsdatabase.com

Ingredients: Water, Beeswax, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Glyceryl Stearate, Copernicia Cerifera Wax (Carnauba), Stearic Acid, Alcohol Denat., Polyisobutene, Isododecane, VP/VA Copolymer, Glycerin, Silica, Ethyl Trisiloxane, C10-30 Cholesterol/Lanesterol Ester, Limnanthes Alba Seed Oil (Meadowfoam), Olea Europaea Fruit Oil (Olive), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil (Sweet Almond), Myristic Acid, Isostearic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Trisodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance, May also contain: Iron Oxides, Black 2

Let’s see what we have here:

Methylparaben – allergies, toxicity, irritation (and this is in an eye product!)…
Propylparaben – developmental/reproductive toxicity…
Fragrance – don’t even get me started. Fragrance is a catch-all term for thousands of potential synthetic chemicals
Triethanolamine – cancer, allergies, toxicity
Do we really need to go on?

I don’t know… you can sort of read it for yourself. I can’t see how anybody would want that on their eyes…

Now compare that to organic mascara by SukiColor:

Ingredients: purified water, organic sunflower seed oil, sorbitol, cetearyl alcohol, beeswax, hydrogenated palm kernel glycerides, hydrogenated palm glycerides, organic rose hip seed oil, evening primrose oil, organic food-grade non-gmo lecithin, organic mixed tocopherols, pure rose wax, organic rose extract in food-grade ethyl alcohol, organic food-grade xanthan gum, sodium hydroxide, fragrance (made from only pure, steam-distilled essential oils) [may contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides]

I think the difference is loud and clear.

This is why I stick to organic.

And I urge you to do the same.

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried NVEY organic mascara (nveymakeup.com)? I read some negative reviews about it, but I haven't tried it myself. It would be great if you could write more reviews about your experience from the use of these different organic mascaras. The hardest part isn't finding these mascaras, it's knowing which one to buy. I've already used Dr. Hauschkas mascara for a while, and I've been happy with it, but I'd like to know if there are other organic mascaras that would be better for me, less smeary and more volumizing for instance. Great blog initiative anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sodium hydroxide (NaOH), also known as lye and caustic soda, is a caustic metallic base. It is used in many industries, mostly as a strong chemical base in the manufacture of pulp and paper, textiles, drinking water, soaps and detergents and as a drain cleaner.

    I'd rethink the SukiColor mascara...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was about to buy some mascara the other day and the second ingredient was 'SHELLAC'... Yes I'm serious, my covergirl that I wore for years as a teen; I could have just added some black dye to some crap from the paint store..

    ANYWAYS! I'm about to order the Nvey Moisturizing mascara, do you have any input on what colors for what hair?

    Thanks
    mommypants13@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It is so lovely. I always want to use this type of organic mascara when I use it really effective and I think women like it also.

    best natural mascara

    ReplyDelete